Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spinach and Warm Spinach Dip

Hey Guys, Something that I always buy from the grocery store is a big bag of baby spinach. It's amazing for salads and sandwiches but what happens when you can't eat the entire bag before it spoils or wilts? Spinach DIP!!!! Yesterday I decided to throw some ingredients together to make a warm melty spinach dip with my spinach leftovers. First I washed my spinach, probably about 6 cups uncooked. Then I put them in a big pot and cooked the water out of them until they were wilted, about 10 minutes, then I put them in a strainer to remove any excess water, they yield about 2 cups. Put them in a bowl, add one cup of drained ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup shredded colby jack cheese, 1 tbs of fresh basil, 1 tsp of dried parsley (or 1 tbs fresh), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Mix it all up and put it in a casserole dish in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Then add 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese sliced, mix half in and the other half on top. Cook for another 15 minutes and then broil for 2 minutes so the cheese gets brown. It's great as a side dish if you're avoiding carbs or you can serve as an appetizer with toasted bread or crackers. You can find all of these ingredients at any supermarket or Trader Joe's. HAPPY COOKING!

No comments: